Inspired by this tweet I’ve decided to make a list of all the times I recall thinking about or being worried about being raped.
- When I am in an elevator by myself
- Walking back to my dorm/apartment by myself at night
- Riding my bike to go swimming at the gym in the early morning
- Walking to my car at night
- Walking to my car in a parking garage alone
- When I have to take the stairs and no one is around
- When I am home alone in my apartment
- If I am at a party with a lot of people and lose my friends
- Whenever a man is walking behind me and it’s just us or it’s dark out
- Anytime a man offers to walk me home or escort me and I don’t know him very well
- When I stay at the library too late and not many people are around
Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head. I know there are plenty more.
When I’m left alone in a friends car in an empty/mostly empty parking lot.
When I go to a male professor I don’t know very well’s office.
When I am on public transportation by myself.
When I walk past bars at night.
Any situation where I am outnumbered by men I don’t know very well